I had never tried to use Jackfruit for meat free dishes until I came across this recipe. I promise you, these are freaking delicious!
I will be featuring more plant based recipes because it’s not just good for the planet, but it’s also been shown to be great for longevity….a long and healthy life!
You will need a Pressure Cooker and I highly recommend the 8qt Instant Pot. You can find the one I got in my Gadgets List on Amazon.
spicy jackfruit tacos
DINNER Serves: 12 small tacos
1 can jackfruit in brine, rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup tomatillo green salsa
1/4 cup water
2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
chipotle pepper powder (I used a Chipotle Spice from Mrs. Dash) and salt, to taste
1-2 Tbsp veggie broth
1-1/2 cups onion, minced
6 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp jalapeno, minced
corn tortillas for serving
1. Add sauté ingredients to the instant pot, use the normal sauté function for 5 minutes or until veggies are soft.
2. Next, make sure to rinse the jackfruit and smash it in your hands to get it to break into shreds. Or you can take a metal spatula and break it up in a separate container or dish.
3. Add in all cooker ingredients. Stir to combine. Put the lid on and make sure the steam release handle is closed.
4. Cook on manual setting and set the timer for 15 minutes.
5. Let the pressure release naturally. If too much liquid, switch back to sauté setting for a few more minutes until the extra liquid evaporates and mixture thickens.
6. Adjust the seasonings and add salt to taste. Serve in tortillas as tacos, add any other toppings (ex. Lettuce, cilantro, plant-based cheese, red onion) as desired.